|Chapel Lane, Beeston, Cheshire CW6 9TX
|KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4
|Please contact us with details of your requirements
|Administered by the provider
More about this Workshop/Service and the Provider
English Heritage is to be applauded for the development of the Discovery Visits, which interpret the story of the site and give a sense of time and place to visiting schools.
Discovery Visit leaders say:
‘It's feelings and experiences that are important. Through them, the true story of a place can be brought alive’
‘Re-enactment is a brilliant way to teach. It engages children who then become interested and start listening to what you say’
Beeston Castle, with its impressive location and natural defences, has been home to prehistoric settlers and great Barons. It has acted as a defence against aristocratic rivals, and has even been an important English Civil War stronghold. What better place to step outside the classroom and bring your curriculum to life?
Support your teaching in a fun and engaging way, with a visit to Beeston Castle.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality. Similarities and differences in ways of life in different time periods
- KS1 Science: Identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common plants, including trees. Identify that living things live in habitats to which they are suited, describe how different habitats provide for the basic needs of different kinds of animals and plants, identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS2 History: A local history study. Changes in Britain from the Stone Age to Iron Age. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Name a variety of living things in their local and wider environment
- KS2 Geography: Human geography: types of settlement and land use, identify the difference between natural and manmade defensive features of the castle, understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: A local history study. The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509 and in Britain 1509-1745. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that consolidates and extends pupils’ chronological knowledge from before 1066
- KS3 Geography: Understand the key processes in human geography; understand how human and physical processes interact to influence and change landscapes
EXPERT-LED DISCOVERY VISITS
Let us inspire your students with one of our hands-on Discovery Visits delivered by one of our site staff and great value for up to 30 students.
Take your class back in time to investigate life in the medieval fortress castle or explore the site's history as an Iron Age hill fort and take part in prehistoric style crafts.
FREE SELF-LED VISITS
Organise your day to suit your curriculum needs. Climb the hill to look out over the surrounding landscape, explore the castle ruins and peer down the well, one of the deepest castle wells in England. Discover the Bronze Age story of Beeston in our newly completed roundhouse. Made using traditional materials and techniques, it is based on archaeological evidence of Bronze Age huts found at Beeston and offers an idea of how prehistoric settlers might have lived. The woodland surrounding the castle contains a diverse range of plants and animals, and provides an excellent opportunity to learn about KS1-2 science topics in an outdoor environment.
PLAN YOUR TRIP
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
‘The best day out I’ve ever had’
‘My class were enthralled and have been talking non-stop about their visit. I am glad we made the effort of sitting for 2 hours in the coach - it really was worth it!’
Availability & How to Book
We are ready to organise your special event for you and answer any queries you may have.
Please complete the enquiry form below and someone will get back to you.