|The Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden Aerodrome, Nr Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 9EP
|EYFS, KS1, KS2, KS3
|EYFS, KS1, KS2, KS3
|Administered by the provider
More about this Workshop/Service and the Provider
Add an exciting dimension to your teaching this term by booking an educational visit to Shuttleworth. We are committed to lifelong learning and offer a diverse range of formal and informal education programmes for all levels from Early Years to KS3. We offer visits to either attraction, and combined visits to both.
Using our new Discovery Workshop as your base room, reach out and explore this world renowned Collection of over 150 aircraft and vehicles, spanning the last 100 years, that are all kept working as intended – it’s where history flies and drives!
All sessions take place in and amongst our exhibits:
- Whether in the midst of our Edwardian aircraft (including the world’s oldest airworthy aeroplane, a 1909 Bleriot XI), where we explore the different ways that aeronauts conceived of embracing this pioneering form of transport;
- Or stepping aboard our unique Charabus as we explore the different ‘jobs’ a vehicle may be designed to do – pupils drawing relevance to the known by identifying the modern equivalent;
- Or exploring geography and distance and time as we take them on an imaginary air race to Australia whilst sat beneath the wing of our world famous de Havilland Comet racing plane.
Pupils could also participate in sessions that include our horse-drawn carriages; cycles; motorcycles; cars; buses; tractors and other vehicles. What better place than Shuttleworth to engage with the science of flight and be inspired by the stories of those who have slipped the surly bonds of earth!
- Changes beyond living memory
- Famous for more than 5 mins
- Science – uses for everyday materials.
- Roald Dahl
- WW2 – A Child’s Eye View
- Science – Forces and Magnets
- Cool stuff – Spy Kids
- People and places
- WW2 – Europe and the Battle of Britain
- Science – Forces; Materials Matter; Properties and Squash, Bend, Stretch
THE SWISS GARDEN
Using our Garden Room as your base room, reach out and explore the 4½ hectares of enchanted secret garden that are the Swiss Garden.
All sessions take place in The Swiss Garden:
- Explore the Garden in stories and literature and use this exceptional venue to bring class books to life, or as inspiration for their own creative writing;
- Or don your pith helmets for a minibeast safari, exploring the extraordinarily diverse habitats our unique venue offers;
- Or why not partake in our Working with artists programme, where your pupils workshop a medium or technique practiced by one of the many artists who use the Swiss Garden as their inspiration.
This wonderful resource for hands-on learning about the natural world is an outstanding example of the Regency fashion for creating landscapes in a picturesque alpine style. Designed as a piece of theatre – every corner you turn offers a new vista, Folly or tableaux. Alongside run our Woodland Walk, where we can collect native tree seed as part of our Sow and Grow programme, and our Sculpture Trail, which includes large-scale sculptures designed by local lower school children.
- Secret Garden
- Autumn, Spring and Summer packages for:
- Living things and their habitats
- Ready, Steady, Grow!
- Secret Garden
- Plants – Roots and Shoots
- Plants – Artful Flowers, Fruits and Seeds
What an unbelievable collection here. It’s worth going just to see the Hurricane that actually fought in the Battle of Britain and the Supermarine Spitfire which was featured in the Battle of Britain and Pearl Harbour films.
This is an excellent collection of WW1, 1930s light aircraft and WW2 fighters including 2 Hurricanes and a Spitfire. Although there are low barriers you can get up close to all the aircraft and there are good information panels for each aircraft. There is also a small collection of cars and automobilia including Richard Shuttleworth's own Railton. After a good walk round there is a very pleasant cafe with reasonably priced food and drinks.
Availability & How to Book
We are ready to organise your special event for you and answer any queries you may have.
Please complete the enquiry form below and someone will get back to you.